Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Moving Your Teaching Career Overseas - Contacts for the School

It would be a nightmare to get to a foreign country and realize you don’t actually have the phone number or address of the school that’s supposed to be employing you, don’t you think? So #7 on my list of things you really, really need to take with you when you move overseas to take up your new teaching job is...

7. Contact details of the school, a copy of your teaching contract and a copy of all the communication you’ve had with the school (this can be in digital format)

Most likely, the school will have some kind of orientation programme in place to help you get settled in, and this may even mean someone meeting you at the airport. But, in case they don’t turn up, have the school’s contact details handy.

You should have a copy of your teaching contract to take with you. It’s good to have a copy so that you can check your conditions and stand up for yourself if you feel you are not getting what was promised. Please don't think I'm implying the school is going to rip you off... but as with any job, you sometimes need to clarify issues.

When I moved out to Thailand, I also made sure I had copies of all the emails that I had received. I gradually deleted them as I settled into Bangkok and acted on all the advice I’d received prior to making the move.

Moving your teaching career overseas - contract with the international school

No comments: