Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Get Respect When You Teach Overseas

Teaching overseas is a great way to improve the conditions you face at work every day. Especially if you land a job teaching in Asia!

Asian countries in particular have a culture of respecting teachers, which makes teaching here an infinitely more pleasant experience than teaching at home.

In Thailand Thursday is teachers' day and many schools hold an assembly at the beginning of the school year to honor teachers.

My school held a Wai Khru (honor teachers) assembly today. The students who study Thai language and culture prepare floral arrangements for teachers, then present them in an assembly.

I received this basket of flowers from my senior students. I was the only one to receive one with a photo attached.

The fact that I don't have to discipline very much means that I can enjoy a more relaxed teacher-student relationship and still get the most out of my students.

Teaching in Asia is vastly different from where I last taught at a state school in the UK. I enjoy coming in to work and there are very few times that I have to exert myself to discipline students, usually I can concentrate solely on the education!

No comments: