Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Teaching in the United Kingdom

I have a number of teachers who signed up to receive my TeachOverseas.info newsletter because they are interested in teaching in the UK. This isn't really what my site is about, although I have information on teaching in the UK, NZ and Aussie on the site.

The reason I'm not focussing on assisting teachers find teaching positions in those countries, is that most of the international teachers I work with have begun teaching overseas to get out of teaching in state schools in the UK, NZ and Aussie.

I started my international teaching career in TEFL. Then moved into teaching high school Technology. My first international teaching job was in a position in a state school in the UK. I spent 4 years total in the UK teaching high school, and I learnt a lot about the teaching craft and education in general.

I'm not knocking teaching in the UK. For NZers and Australians, it's a fantastic way to earn decent money whilst on your "big OE". But if you've gone that far, why not go a step farther and teach internationally.

All those things you don't like about teaching in state schools? Well, you don't have to deal with discipline problems, lack of enthusiasm, poor attendance, lack of resources, etc. here in the international school circuit.

Aussies and Kiwis are very desirable teachers for international school recruiters because we have a reputation for being adaptable, adventurous and trust-worthy.

Stick your neck out there and check out international teaching. Believe me, not one international educator I've talked to has any regrets about deciding to go into teaching overseas!

No comments: