Tuesday, January 22, 2008

International School Recruiting Fair Tips

If you're just starting out as an international teacher - here are some tips to help you at you first international school recruiting fair...

You need to be picky about where you go and teach overseas, but you don't really need to be picky regarding which international schools you interview with because practice makes perfect.

If you can get interviews with schools that you're not sure you're interested in, do so, then go along for the interview practice. One result of this is that you could find out a school you really didn't think was your cup of tea turns out to be perfect for you!

Another result of using this interview strategy is if one of these schools that aren't on your hit list the only school that offers you a contract (and I'm sure this won't be the case) then working for a slightly undesirable school for a year or two will at least get your foot in the door of international teaching and make it easier to geta great job next time around.

One last thing... in preparation for the international teaching job fair I attended in Bangkok this month, I took a friend out to lunch and quizzed her about interview questions. I was going for the same kind of job that she currently does in my school. I found that it really helped me get my head around what I wanted to say at the interviews. And a good idea of what recruiters were looking to hear from me!

International School Recruiting Fair Tips

No comments: