Sunday, March 25, 2007

Weekends away

This weekend I've been to the Kwai Horse Camp. An amazing place just outside of Kanchanaburi (of Bridge over the River Kwai fame) run by two lovely ladies of 91 and 89.

Our bungalow 'Ban Buri' at the Kwai Horse Camp
I went with my friend Maggie from school and her daughter. We stayed in a wooden bungalow modelled on a traditional Thai house. We had bedrooms upstairs, and a bathroom to share. Downstairs there was an open patio where I spent a lot of my time during the hottest part of the day. It seemed to be so much cooler under there. You can see in the photo that the 'house' part was up on stilts.

The camp is quite rustic and the amenities are very basic. Everyone eats together in an open-sided dining room. I think that this is all part of the camp's charm.

There are over 30 ponies and horses for people to ride and the instruction is of excellent quality.

I enjoyed an extremely relaxing weekend away from the hustle and bustle of living in a large city. It wasn't much quieter because there were many natural night sounds to replace the sound of the city. But the sounds of nature are much more calming than the drone of citylife, in my opinion. I met some new people, learnt how to groom a horse and didn't think about school work once!

No comments: